Thursday, 23 June 2011

Exploring igoogle

I've quite enjoyed setting up my igoogle page and arranging it to suit my tastes and needs. I particularly like the vast range of themes available, and I've discovered a very sweet animation of waddling penguins to add a bit of life to my home page. However, I found the process of adding gadgets a bit unresponsive at first - I'd add a gadget and it wouldn't immediately appear on my home page, so I'd add it again, and then end up with two of the same gadget. I also initially had trouble getting the weather gadget to remember Cambridge as my home town, and I added a "To do list" gadget and wrote a list, only to have that list forgotten the next time I logged in! However, all this may just have been due to my impatience and/or problems with my browser, and things do now seem to be working smoothly.
Having said that, from looking at gadget reviews, it does appear that there are many faulty or badly designed gadgets out there - but I suppose that is inevitable given the number available and the range of people that create them. I'm sure there are also many very useful gadgets around, and I expect that in time, I'll find the ones that work best for me. It is very tempting to add lots of games, but then I'd probably end up wasting time playing them instead of completing the rest of the 23 things!
At present, I'm not convinced that igoogle is going to make a massive difference to my internet use, or save me a great deal of time reaching the sites I use regularly - Delicious bookmarks and basic google searches have served me fine up till now - but I realise that I've only just begun to explore its functionality, and there are many more aspects to learn, such as incorporating RSS feeds, so I'll try to keep an open mind for now.
Right, now I need to get back to customizing this blog, and then my next post will let you know how I've got on with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment