I'm not very good at networking, promoting myself or "projecting an image" - one of the reasons I am following this 23 things programme in the first place - so if I were to join
LinkedIn it would have to be after some serious consideration as to how best to present myself, and what I should or shouldn't include. I don't want to rush in and make a hash of it! At least I would be able to get some assistance with my profile though - the most recent entry on the LinkedIn blog announces that they are now offering an
"Improve your profile" tool which offers customized guidance to every member. This could be very useful, as long as the end results are not too bland and homogenised.
The
CILIP Group looks interesting and I like the way that discussions are displayed on the group pages, with comments appearing in little speech bubbles. I also think that the personal profile pages have a very clear and attractive layout. According to
another of LinkedIn's blog posts, it will now be possible to apply for some jobs with LinkedIn, in cases where companies have signed up for an “Apply with LinkedIn” button. I wonder how many libaries will adopt this when employing people? However, according to the infographic:
How Are People Really Using LinkedIn? the numbers of people using LinkedIn for hiring staff are pretty low, at least for the moment. Maybe this new feature will change things.
LinkedIn seems more attractive to me as a networking tool than Facebook, maybe just because it comes across as more professional and grown-up. I may well join eventually, but not just yet.
Thoughtful post and I agree that linkedIn does have more of a professional feel to it and hopefully that will be maintained. I think the groups part of it is definitely the more interesting rather than personal profile.
ReplyDelete